Florida People’s Bailout
All Floridians deserve to be safe and healthy. We deserve safe space to shelter, food in our bellies, the means to take care of our families and the ability to seek care when we’re sick.
For too long, we’ve watched Florida’s politicians put the profits of big corporations over our wellbeing and now, in the midst of a global crisis, their priorities are becoming all the more clear.
Corona Virus is spreading quickly and infecting people all over our state. Meanwhile, thousands of Floridians are out of work with more than 70,000 people filed for unemployment in the last week alone. While we are struggling to pay our bills and take care of our families, Governor Ron Desantis is pretending like nothing is wrong at all — at the request of big business.
DeSantis and politicians like him aren’t prepared or willing to do what’s needed to save the lives of millions of Floridians right now. To them, their corporate friends will always come before the rest of us. And while they refuse to act, our hospitals are about to be overwhelmed, more and more people are dying and even more Floridians are wondering how they will pay for their next meal or their rent.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. Our state has all the resources it needs to see us through this crisis: to make sure every Floridian has access to testing and care, a safe place to stay, and paid sick leave so no one has to decide between getting sick and paying the bills.
THERE IS ENOUGH FOR ALL OF US TO GET THROUGH THIS TIME OF CRISIS TOGETHER AND IT IS OUR RIGHT TO.
Ron DeSantis, the Florida Legislature and local leaders across the state need to Pass a #PeoplesBailout NOW. As nurses, delivery drivers and grocery clerks keep our state running, we need our local and state government officials to step up to the plate and pass a relief and recovery package to address the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
It is not the time for half measures or piece-meal plans. We need immediate, bold, and comprehensive action to ensure the containment of Corona Virus and the health of everyone in our state.
HEALTH IS THE TOP PRIORITY, FOR ALL PEOPLE, WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.
Spotlight on Ron DeSantis
Governor Desantis’ Record of Inaction on Covid-19:
- Refused to issue a statewide stay-at-home order
- Refused to close crowded beaches while thousands of people were in the state for Spring Break
- He was slower than at least 35 other governors to suspend in-person dining at restaurants and behind at least 22 in closing gyms and fitness studios.
- He still has not ordered non-essential business to close
- Told people to go out to vote during Florida’s primary after other states had moved theirs. Made no effort to make the polls safer
- Meanwhile, he was awarding businesses loans in preparation for the virus
- Like his predecessor Rick Scott, DeSantis has refused to expand Medicaid
- His party members in the Florida Senate proposed tens of millions in tax breaks for big corporations and sports teams (that are now shut down due to the virus) before they thought up any relief plans for the people in Florida.