Dream Defenders is currently searching for candidates for the following positions:
DIRECTOR, HEALING AND JUSTICE CENTER
The Dream Defenders Healing and Justice Center develops community responses to gun violence and other forms of intra-community violence outside of police and prisons. Established in 2020 and based in Miami, FL, we work with a coalition of youth organizations, service providers, therapists, medical doctors and artists who are working to coordinate a multi-pronged, holistic approach for community safety.
In Miami, 52 percent of murder victims are Black, even though black people only make up about 13 percent of the general population. In response, our communities are flooded with police. In 2020, Miami County commissioners voted unanimously to build a 400M jail. Meanwhile, our communities are starved of the resources needed to actually reduce violence and poverty – housing, jobs, after-school programming, mental health and healthcare.
The Healing and Justice Center seeks to reduce community violence and reliance on policing and incarceration. We will test our impact by showing an actual reduction in calls to the police, and in violence in our neighborhoods. The Director will work closely with this coalition and our program coordinator to test, implement, evaluate and refine the Center’s model and programming.
- Lead strategy planning with partners to develop and implement the Center’s service delivery model and programming
- Supervise staff of 1-2 employees
- Develop relationships with key community leaders and identify opportunities for collaboration and partnership
- Facilitate regular coalition meetings and work closely with partners to implement programs
- Research existing models for community-based safety and use this to shape our programming
- Develop and implement data collection and evaluation efforts to track our impact and summarize data into reports, brochures, etc that can be used for advocacy efforts
- Work with the Co-Directors and Development Director to support fundraising efforts
- Experience working with young Black people
- Experience building strategy with a range of stakeholders including external partners, members, and staff
- Experience program design, implementation and evaluation
- 2+ years of experience managing multiple employees
- Experience in healing justice, transformative justice and other community safety approaches
- Experience working with partnership development and coalition building
- Familiarity with traditional organizing tactics such as: organizing, facilitating effective meetings, one-on-ones, giving feedback etc.
- Experience as a program director
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org